Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Question and Answer- Cleaning the sink

Question: Does anyone have a non toxic method of cleaning the kitchen sink that they can share? I always use baking soda with Tub and Tile but was curious if there was something else I could use as well. I know several of you are good at making cleaning products and I would love to have those recipes to try and share with my girls.

SO... what do you use to clean your kitchen sink? Curious minds want to know :-)

Answers:
From Jullie
We have a white porceline kitchen sink that gets discolored and scratched up pretty quickly. Baking soda works ok, but the best thing I have found is Bar Keepers Friend. We use it on our stainless steel pots and pans to keep them shiney and mark-free. I don't know if it is non-toxic, but it says "safe for all septic systems; contains no phosphates." However, it does have a caution that states, "contains oxalic acid," and a warning that says, "eye irritant." There is nothing that warns about ingestion, etc. I have used lime away for the sink, and it worked fine, but this works just as good if not better. Also, it is cheap, under $2 for a 21 oz container at Walmart.

From Teri
I use baking soda. and then for a shine, some vinegar or vinegar water.

From Kimberly
I am currently using Bon Ami. A commercial product that has been around forever. It does not contain bleach and doesn't scratch. We used to use it in Microbiology class to clean microscope slides.
I've tried making my own stuff and Tub and Tile too but am currently liking Bon Ami (it has a little chick on the front).

From Frankie
I just use a thick paste of baking soda with a healthy squirt of dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn) in it. When I make a big bowlful, rather than just enough for the kitchen sink, my younger children scour the bathtub and shower walls wearing their swimsuits. They have a blast playing around and rinsing it together.


Thank you everyone for you helpful answers! If anyone else has question, answers or ideas feel free to email us at covenantranchonline@yahoo.com.

I hope you all have a beautiful day!

Until the whole world hears,
Beth Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment