Friday, April 30, 2010

Question and Answer- In the kitchen

Question by Carla:
Hello! I would very much like to learn to can food and I'm trying to research pressure canners. I have read that All American pressure canners have the advantage of not using a gasket, so it is one less part to replace.Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

Answer by Frankie:

I borrowed an All American from a friend to learn with. I ended up buying two older (1970's) Presto canners. They were $15 and $35 respectively. The All American, though undoubtedly a wonderful canner, was difficult to use, for me. The lid has to be carefully aligned and clamped correctly. I had to have my husband do it. I prefer the much-easier to attach Presto lid. Don't get me wrong...if I found a terrific deal on an AA, I would get it in a second! Not having a gasket is an advantage, I guess, but it really is easy to get a spare gasket. They are only $10 or so. They last a very long time, treated properly.

Canning is a very fun hobby! You'll love having homemade food ready to heat off the shelf. I have only canned for a year, but I'll share all I've learned. Ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment